Date PostedJuly 13, 2023
Expiration dateAugust 11, 2023
Robert Sukrachand is a New York City and Chiang Mai based furniture designer. Since launching his first collection in 2015 Robert has created mixed material works that blend divergent material and cultural influences.
Growing up in Massachusetts but spending his summers in his father’s native Thailand, Robert has always sought energy from liminal spaces where boundaries are blurred and translation is a necessity. The same can be said of his design practice which at its core seeks to create a dialogue between craft disciplines, cultural histories, and material forms.
Join me as the 1st full-time team member of our new Chiangmai based design brand. You will work directly with me and our artisan partners around Thailand to develop new furniture, lighting, and homewares products. CULTURE: The core goal of our work is to use design and craft as a language to connect people in and outside of Thailand. We create space for design conversations and aim to tell a story through our products. This is a great opportunity for someone interested in evolving Thai craft and connecting with the US design community.
- Collaborate with me on design concept: sketching, material research, and production management. This will primarily be furniture and lighting but sometimes will include interior and/or exhibition design projects.
- Coordinate with a variety of fabrication partners we work with in Thailand, such as traditional artisans, medium-sized workshops, and modern factories. Strong communication skills are essential.
- Travel: we try to have face-to-face contact when working with artisans. You should be excited about occasional visits to craft workshops in Chiangmai, Isaan and on the outskirts of Bangkok.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Furniture, Industrial, Interior Design or Architecture.
- Ability to produce drawings in Sketch up, AutoCAD, or equivalent softwares.
- Fluent in Thai and comfortable reading/ writing some English (do not need to be fluent but I tend to use both languages in daily work).
- Ability to communicate in a respectful and organized way with a variety of design partners. This position requires flexibility as there are different working methods when dealing with traditional artisans vs. modern factories.
- Passion for working toward our goal of connecting the US and Thailand through design and craft.
Cover letter, CV and examples of previous work can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org