Date PostedMay 19, 2023
Expiration dateJune 17, 2023
At Aman we are on a mission to create the world’s ultimate luxury lifestyle brand; hotels, resorts, experiences and products which transform our guests’ perspectives and daily lives. To achieve our ambitions, we capitalise on our unique combination of world-class and diverse talent, unmatched design, and access to locations, cultures and experiences few are privy to. We live by the ‘Aman way of life’ – a mindset shared by our guests and employees which creates a lifelong sense of belonging driven by our values of:
Invest in individuality – fostering an environment where each person can push boundaries, take risks and challenge norms.
Nurture pathfinder spirit – exploring experiences, opportunities and locations which transform into new exciting ventures.
Act like owners – taking the charge, leading by example and an immense sense of pride in their work.
Celebrate communities – ensuring that every member of our community is looked after and nurtured in a compassionate, respectful and collaborative manner.
This position is located at our corporate office in Bangkok, Thailand.
The Director of Design & Technical Services reports into the Global Head Design & Technical Services. The position oversees the design development process and construction and project management to an established schedule within approved budget. He / She supports the implementation of Aman’s standards and brand objectives through a focus on superior design strategies and solutions. Responsible for liaising with owners and managing project consultants to achieve best in class Aman hotels in both urban and resort locations.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships & communication with Owners, Development Consultants, Brand and Operational leaders.
- Interface with owners, development companies, architects, interior designers, planning consultants, contractors, and public agencies in a collaborative, team-focused manner that adds value to projects and relationships.
- Day-to-day management of multi-national professional teams and internal stakeholders across multiple projects running concurrently.
- Provide design direction, ensure adherence to brand standards, and oversee design and engineering consultant teams to develop the design through all project phases.
- Deliver owned-projects on schedule, within budget and to the quality standards required by Aman. Monitor and control owned-project costs to approved budgets.
- Develop project schedules, track and review construction documents.
- Update the Global Head of Design & Technical Services on a weekly basis using the Aman TS Weekly Reports format for the past week and provide projections for the following week on all design aspects and program delivery.
- Identify, work to resolve and communicate project-related issues and resolutions.
- Assist activities in the early formulation and feasibility stages of a project.
- Make presentations to senior leaders and owners to gain their approval on design recommendations.
- Work closely with QA and QS teams through detailed budgets, and VE exercises.
- Lead procurement agents through tender approval and factory visits to ensure design and quality of all FFE, including furniture, decorative lighting, and carpets.
- Attend workshops with owner’s design teams (PM, MEP, ID, ARCH, LANDSCAPE, SIGNAGE, ACOUSTICS, ART) to ensure design delivery according to issued master program.
- On owned projects, work with the General Contractor to resolve site issues and manage change requirements.
- Report to the Global Head of Design & Technical Services on design approvals.
- Review design consultant submitted drawings and specifications.
- Assist operating properties with CapEx planning, design reviews and project control
- Drive quality control procedures, their implementation and quality assurance mechanisms to assure compliance.
- Prepare Initial Project Reviews (IPR’s) and Design Progress Reviews (DPR’s)
- Conduct site visits and prepare Construction Progress Reports (CPR’s).
- Attend mock up room evaluation sessions and prepare Mock Up Room Review Reports.
- Assist with ongoing development of corporate brand standards and process frameworks
- University degree in Architecture or Interior Design
- Minimum 12-15 years professional experience, including 5+ years’ Technical Services experience in a similar role with luxury hotel operators
- Familiarity with all aspects of luxury hotel and resorts project delivery
- Fluent in written and spoken English (additional languages desirable)
- Strong work ethic and cultural sensitivity
- Excellent communicator able to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Willing to travel extensively